Get Involved

11.17.2007

Becoming a Wino

I brought up wine before in the Dining forum noted previously and it got a bit of a discussion going.

I've found I'm not much for the Sutter Home types, instead preferring something with more body and less bitterness. I had some at a bar last week and it was okay, so I bought a 1 litre bottle at the liquor store for home consumption. Nastiest stuff I think I've ever had! I'll have to double-check to see if I bought the wrong type.

I've become a regular at The Red Barn Winery on Buckley Road in Liverpool (next to North Medical Center), where the young lady there patiently answers my novice-like questions, and normally waives the $1-$2 tasting fee. I haven't yet ventured into the world of reds, but every week my recycling bin has a couple of Wine De-Lite and Destiny bottles!

The Wine De-lite is as it's name suggests a white wine that goes great with everything (even though I haven't really figured out how one type of wine goes with any given food yet), while the Destiny is a rose' (that IS the same as a blush, right?) that goes down well in the evening.
The De-Lite comes in 750 ml and the big 1 liter bottle, but Destiny only comes in 750ml sizes unfortunately. We're taking two of each on our annual trek to the relatives this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, Doobs,

When you venture into the reds, try a Merlot from the Brotherhood winery in New York. Some of the best Merlot I've ever had! Also, there is a Merlot made by Bogle that is really good, and pretty cheap. I usually get it for $8.00/bottle at Costco!

Here are the webpages for those:

http://www.boglewinery.com/

and

http://tinyurl.com/35jem6

Btw, I went to a couple of wineries yesterday! Pictures on my blog. :-)