Get Involved

1.05.2008

Protecting Assets


Today was interesting. I drove by the plant out of curiosity and passed two former co-workers. We stopped to chat as they had some questions for me. After about 5 mionutes a guy who looked like a sophmore in high school came out and asked "Can I help you guys with something?"

I replied" You came to us, shouldn't I be asking YOU that?" He then told me that I was blocking the entranceway to the shipping docks (that had a locked 8 foot gate going across it) and ould have to move! This is all happening on the side of the road, not on their property, mind you. I then replied" Why, is someone coming to take that gate out?" At this point the rent-a-cop got on his Nextel and reported "Sir we have a possible security breach at the west entrance. Do you advise I notify 911?"

I turned around to finish my conversation with my friends and around the corner about two minutes later comes the Director of Asset Protection for the parent company (or so he claims)! He came up to me and asked if I was there to start trouble. I said "No, I was just driving by and saw these two guys so we stopped to chat for a minute. By the way, don't you have people you trust to watch over an empty factory so you can have a day off on the weekend?" He replied that it was his job to protect unsecured assets and his schedule should not worry me! I then turned to our high school Pinkerton and warned him that "Hey, if your boss can't trust you with an empty building, maybe it's time you learned something from the 160 people you're keeping out. You could be next"

No comments: