Get Involved

9.29.2007

Apple Picking Time!

Today we meandered down to Lafayette to the Beak & Skiff Apple Orchards to do some good old-fashioned family togetherness stuff. It wasn't too crowded yet because the Lafayette Apple Festival isn't until next weekend.


It was actually a perfect day to get outside and have some fun. While not a true hayride, they do have tractors that drive you into the orchards and bring you back. We took the ride in and each grabbed a bag and headed into the orchards. At some point I heard that the apples cost was $.20/ pound so I figured at worst we'd spend about $8 for four bags full of freshness. HAH! It was more like $33.85 but hey...who's counting? It's only money.





They had the usual fare aside from picking apples; $4 pony rides, darn good apple fritters, face-painting, cider and apple wine too! They also had these little environmentally- green go karts that the kids just HAD to try out!




Yes, I said wine. Something's come over me lately, and I'm not sure how to process it. I tried some hard cider, and wanted more. So, I asked for a sample of their white wine. MMMMMMmm! Not bad! Even my beautiful bride said "hey, this is good"!!! So, rather than just buy it there, we stopped down to the winery on Route 20 to taste the other stuff. We ended up buying a bottle of Sterling Hard Cider and a bottle of Somerset wine to bring home. They also have a little general store with all sorts of good eating inside! Home-made fudge, honey, REAL maple $yrup, and cheeses to name a few selections. They had an apple pie candle that i was going to buy until I saw the $25 price tag. I love the smell of fresh-baked apple pie (who doesn't, right?) but at $25, we could make a lot of real pies!




Anyways, this was a trip I highly recommend if you're looking for something to do for one of the last really nice weekends we'll probably have here in Central New York.








No comments: