Get Involved

9.30.2007

Gone Fishin'




This year I took the plunge and got my first ever NY State Fishing License. I did so at the urging of our kids who had both had a great time fishing last year while in summer camp. They asked and asked and asked, and I found reason after reason after reason to not go out and buy my license. Then cam free fishing day in NY state.




My very good friend (and distantly related union brother!) Rick offered to take the family and me out on his boat for the day, and the day just happened to be during free-fishing day. for those unfamiliar, free-fishing weekend is a time in June that NY State allows those without a valid fishing license to go out in public waters and give fishing a try. Well, needless to say I was hooked! (get it? I said hooked, lolol)




The following day I went to Mickeys Bait Shop and got my license and two poles, one for me and one for the missus. The kids already had poles through our neighbor, and their adopted grandpa, Tony. More about him later. I got all the necessary equipment to put a tackle box together and we were off! We've fished a lot of different areas on Oneida Lake, along with the dams in Baldwinsville, and a few different spots in Onondaga Lake. Surprisingly enough Onondaga Lake has some great fishing in it, as proven by the recent
Bassmasters Tournament
Needless to say, we all had a great time this summer, and nobody got a fish hook stuck in their eye or anywhere else! We'll be back next year, and hopefully we'll catch something big enough out of a clean lake to eat for dinner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mr. newt got his first-ever fishing license this year too. Then he went and spent a basketful of money gearing up. Good thing we don't have a boat!

newt