Get Involved

9.29.2007

Death of an Old Friend- Redux

(originally published on 10/22/2005)

This weeks events were a mixed bag, up until yesterday, when they took a tragic turn for the worse. The week started out bad enough. I had a headache on Monday, which turned into a full-blown assault on my sinuses and the attached plumbing by Tuesday. It felt like the kids filled my nostrils with green play-dough while I slept. On top of that, my back was just burning in pain, but I should be used to that by now I guess. I had vehicle problems. A turning lamp keeps blowing out on me, and for the life of me I can’t pinpoint the cause of the short, but I will.

What really ruined the week was the passing of an old friend. I have known my good friend Briggs for over 10 years. We went through a lot together. We enjoyed mostly good times, but there were a few hair-raising moments. We’d take long strolls in sun-filled fields, and short jaunts up the path of life together. He’s been falling apart slowly for some time now, but never stopped living until now. Some surgeries were more complex than others, and some of his age-induced injuries took longer than others to heal, but he was a survivor! We’d always stop after our strolls and enjoy a drink or two. I’d have a beer, and mix him up a stiff one. We did this every week, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a week.

He made most of his noise while we were exercising together, leaving me the only one talking afterwards. After a few years, he would go out and walk with my son. What a great team they were! Side by side, without a care in the world, they’d meander down the back forty hand in hand. The dog would get jealous and chase after them whenever we let her out. She hated to see some of her attention go to anyone but her, but that was this guy’s personality. He demanded all the attention he could get. The better the weather, the more he’d want to walk around and enjoy the beautiful summer sunshine. Cold, wet days were always hard, and are what led to his unfortunate demise, I’m afraid. On those days, he would just sit there in his garage, looking out at the forming puddles and not utter a peep.

So, I have problem on my hands now that my friend is gone and I’d like your help.

Should I go out and buy a new lawn mower now, or rely on my neighbor’s kindness and borrow theirs for the remainder of the year? If you have one for sale really cheap, give me a holler, ok?

No comments: